Detoxing for Life
Detoxing For Life
by Joanne Forster
Detoxing is much more that a temporary gimmick, like a juice cleanse. It’s a way of life that can make you feel better physically, mentally and spiritually, which leads to better moods, enhanced relationships, and an overall increase in happiness.
Toxins that stress your body, mind and spirit come in many forms. Physical poisons from pesticides, herbicides, chemicals, drugs, medicine and metabolic processes directly compromise the health of your cells. They make you susceptible to disease and make you feel less than your best.
While quick fix detoxing, can benefit your physical health after periods of unhealthy behavior, what will ultimately help you feel better, live longer, and be happier is a mindful approach to clean living.
Mindful Her “Spring Detox” on May 1st will help you identify the internal and external toxins in your world and understand how they affect your health and happiness.
Here’s the short version of physical tips our mindful living experts will cover at “Spring Detox.” Stay tuned for mental detox tips later this week.
- Begin each day with hot water and the juice of a lemon, an Ayurvedic practice that cleanses and invigorates.
- Eat plenty of fiber, including brown rice and organically grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, black beans, nuts, and seaweed are excellent detoxifying foods. Eating fiber keeps you regular and rids your body of daily toxins. Cleanse and protect the liver by taking herbs such as dandelion root, burdock and milk thistle, and drinking green tea.
- Take vitamin C, which helps the body produce glutathione, a liver compound that drives away toxins.
- Drink at least two quarts of purified water every day in a non-plastic container, preferably glass or stainless steel. If you find yourself becoming bored by water, add fresh slices of orange, cucumber, and/or strawberry to give it a fruity taste.
- Stop consuming chemicals. Choose whole and natural foods, rather than foods that come in a box. Choose chemical free beauty products, especially shampoo, lotions and deodorant.
- Breathe deeply to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your system.
- Exercise for one hour every day.
- Sweat in a sauna so your body can eliminate wastes through perspiration.
- Dry-brush your skin or try detox foot spas/foot baths to remove toxins through your pores. Special brushes are available at natural products stores.
- Take Epson salt (magnesium sulfate) detox baths to draw out toxins in the body, boost health and well-being, and strengthen the immune system.